10 Lines On Water Pollution. Water pollution is posing a great threat to society. The earth is covered in 70% water but only 0.007% of it is available for use by the billions of people that inhabit it. Why might this be you ask? It’s because our freshwater depletes at 3,928 kilometers per year, where 44% withdrawal is used for agriculture and the remaining 56% turns into wastewater.
10 Lines On Water Pollution For Kids And Children’s
That means water pollution! Water pollution is a problem because 80% of the wastewater is released into the environment without proper treatment. Statistics claimed that 2 million tons of sewage, industrial, and agricultural waste are flowing into the world’s water every day, which is equivalent to 6.8 billion people! So what causes water pollution? The three types of water contaminants are chemical, radiological, and biological.
These are often found in agriculture, industries, sewage systems, and even domestic items like motor oil, pharmaceuticals, and personal care products that we use on a daily basis. Agriculture plays a huge role in chemical contamination through excess nitrogen and phosphorus from fertilizers, soil erosion, and animal waste known as nutrient enrichment that runoff into rivers and lakes, creating dead zones on the coastal continents.
It’s not just affecting humans; it’s also affecting our ecosystems. Freshwater species are estimated to have an extinction rate of five times greater than terrestrial species.
10 Lines On Water Pollution ( Set 1 )
- Water pollution happens because of the introduction of some foreign material which degrades the quality of water and reduces its usefulness.
- There are different sources that cause this water pollution.
- To reduce this water pollution, we have to treat each source in a different manner.
- For example, domestic waste. So for domestic waste, in order to prevent water pollution, we need to construct septic tanks.
- These septic tanks are underground tanks that treat the sewage before it is discharged into the water bodies.
- So in these septic tanks, the sewage is decomposed by bacterial action.
- When it is no longer harmful, it is then discharged into the water bodies.
- Another way to prevent water pollution at the domestic level is by preventing bad practices.
- Like bathing and washing clothes at rivers and lakes.
- So by following these two points, we can prevent water pollution at the domestic level.
10 Lines On Water Pollution ( Set 2 )
- At the industrial level, the waste or the sewage is more harmful as compared to that at the domestic level.
- It’s more challenging to clear the contaminated water at Industrial Level.
- So, for the industrial waste, we need a better set up to treat the waste.
- This is a set-up for treating industrial waste.
- In this setup, basically, three processes are used.
- Physical processes, chemical processes, and biological processes are used to treat the waste at the industrial level.
- So in the physical processes, techniques like sedimentation, flotation, and filtration are used for removing the impurities.
- The chemical process includes techniques like precipitation and disinfection.
- Now in the chemical process, these techniques help in disinfecting the waste.
- That is, they’re used for decreasing the harmful effect of the wastes which are discharged in the water bodies.
10 Lines On Water Pollution ( Set 3 )
- And finally the biological process. This is used to treat the waste at the biological level.
- That is biological filtration. So by introducing a microorganism et cetera the harmful characteristics of the waste are reduced.
- So by using these three processes. That is at the physical, chemical, and biological level, the industrial waste is treated.
- So as to get safe effluents which are then discharged in the water bodies.
- So for industrial wastes, we need a bigger setup that takes care of three processes.
- To get safe effluents that are discharged in the water bodies.
- Drinking water. Where do we get pure drinking water from?
- We know, we get pure water, pure drinking water from seas and rivers.
- But then this water is not clean. It is not clean for our consumption.
- So it has to be purified. This is done at different levels.
10 Lines On Water Pollution ( Set 4 )
- First, the water from seas and rivers is brought to the waterworks. So we have big pipes which bring the water from the seas and. rivers to the waterworks.
- Next, there are settling tanks. they are used to settle all the impurities in these tanks.
- So all the impurities which can be sedimented or settled are allowed to be settled in these settling tanks.
- Next, and the important level is the use of SO successive filters, that is, a number of filters are used which removes the impurity at each level.
- So at each level, using different and a series of filters the impurities are further removed. And finally, The water is chlorinated.
- This is done to disinfect the water. For Example, you must have heard at times, someone saying that the water tastes a little different.
- The level of chlorine is more. This means water is chlorinated.
- Chlorination of water is done to remove any impurities. That is to further disinfect the water.
- By using these four methods, at these levels, we can get pure drinking water. So even after this, at home, you use the filters. So, you use different filters.
- What Is the Purpose of These filters? They again have a series of filters inside them. So at each level, the water further gets and finally, we get pure drinking safe water.
Water is considered life. Without water, no one can survive. We use water for drinking, bathing, irrigation and sanitation. We need clean water for these tasks. But these days water has become polluted due to bad practices. Now, it’s our duty to stand and do something to prevent water pollution.